Students who wish to study the Diploma will need to have completed the Certificate in Machine Embroidery first, as this course builds on the previously taught techniques in the Certificate course. The next Diploma course is due to run from September 2017.
- Duration: This is a two year course of three terms per year
- Fees: £215 per term for WI members, £235 per term for non members There is an additional one off City & Guilds registration fee of £90 payable at start of first term only
- Tutor: Annette Morgan
- Application Form: Creative Stitch Course Application Form
- Contact: Contact the course tutor
PLEASE NOTE YOU MUST BE REGISTERED WITH CITY AND GUILDS BY MAY 2017 AT THE LATEST TO BE ABLE TO TAKE THIS COURSE.
This course will run on Tuesdays or Wednesdays (6 sessions per term) 10.00-16:00.
This course consists of the following elements:
- Research for Design, [common to all Diploma programmes] using the skills learnt in the Certificate course you will build a portfolio of work on which to base your sewn assessments.
- Stitch – you will study a variety of advanced techniques in order to make the following:
- A large scale item – a length of machine embroidered fabric at least 1 metre in on direction to show manipulation and texture.
- A functional 3D item – selected from a garment, domestic item, toy, accessory or body adornment.
- A panel or hanging – machine embroidered panel or hanging, site specific.
- An item to incorporate the use of soluble or dispersible fabric.
- A collection of samples – 8 samples related to a source to show evidence of advanced skills in the making and use of handmade paper, silk paper, felt, binding and constructed fabrics as backgrounds for machine embroidery.
- A portfolio of techniques and machine embroidered samples
- An illustrated study, consisting of 1) a history of machine embroidery, and 2) six studies of nationally recognised and influential textile artist and or designer makers, three from the present day and three from the previous decades.