So here we are in 2021 and who knows what it will bring? One thing is for certain: however unsettled our lives are, at least we can rely on fresh water and food, even if some need the help of foodbanks. However, many places in the world have neither of these and the presence of coronavirus merely accentuates their problem.
Where possible, the Associated Country Women of the World aims to support these communities and SEFWI will continue to boost their ability to do so by our donations. Organising fund-raising events is difficult under coronavirus restrictions at the moment, but the ACWW Supporters Group has some events planned.
• The ethically-themed FASHION SHOW in aid of ACWW funds, originally planned for July 1st, is now scheduled for October 14th. Two sessions will be on offer (afternoon & evening) and as well as commercial outlets showing their carefully-sourced stock, there will be ideas for ‘upcycling’ of previously worn garments. Look out for more details here later or in SEFWI News.
• Unfortunately the ACWW International Lunch with Magdie de Kock, ACWW World President as the main speaker has had to be postponed indefinitely. Magdie was to have been in the UK at the ACWW European area conference but this has now been postponed for a year.
• And we have a spectacular secret planned for the end of the year.
Meanwhile, one way that we can help is by donating items for recycling, as we have done for the past couple of years. Now almost anything is acceptable: -
• Small electrical items (mobiles, tablets, sat-navs., games consoles)
• Cameras & photographic equipment
• Jewellery & watches (even broken)
• Coins & Notes (UK & foreign)
• Stamps (UK & foreign)
These can be taken to any of our WI collectors
• IPSWICH: Moira Hammond (01473 659482)
• MENDLESHAM: Anita Scruby (01449 766902)
• STOKE ASH: Dilys Sewell (01449 782978)
• WOODBRIDGE: Maureen Staines (01394 384194)
• EARL SOHAM: Wendy Heath (01728 564201)
• WICKHAM MARKET: Paula Scanlon (01728747785)
• WENHASTON: Jill Daines (01502 478016)
• BECCLES: Hilda Jackson (01502 7143970)
However, if you find that you, or your own institute, have a considerable amount yourself (i.e. weighing in excess of 10 kg.), it can be collected direct from you by a courier. In this case, simply ask Moira (on 01473 659482) to arrange this.
Meanwhile, don’t forget your plans for ‘WOMEN WALK THE WORLD’ at the end of April. After such a necessarily uneventful 2020, maybe we can at last look forward to ‘turning out’ for more fundraising activities such as these for ACWW in the future.